Nick Homa (1-0) earned the complete game victory out-dueling Black Sox ace, NCB All-American PSU pitcher, “Joe Paterno” Chalfin (0-1). (no idea what this kid’s first name is, he was good, though.)
The Ducks (2-0) scored two in the first, Jesse Smith helped his MVP cause when he singled in Tony Casale, after a Britton Dickey sac bunt. Cheese would knock in Smith later in the inning.
The Black Sox (0-2) tied it at two.
For four innings it was Pitcher’s Duel City.
In the top of the sixth, KT Murphy stepped to the plate with the score still tied at 2.
Murphy Delivered with an inside the park home run to center to put the Ducks ahead 3-2.
Murphy is as clutch a hitter as we have on this team.
Big time hit.
Murphy is giving Ducks’ legend Matt Pease a run for his money for the best EH in Ducks history.
In the bottom of the sixth, the Black Sox tied the score when Kenny Powers followed the second best flair to right field in the game, with an rbi ground-rule double to right.
That outfield is treacherous.
In the top of the seventh, Gwin came to the plate with two out and runners on first and third.
A well-placed single to right plated what proved to be the winning run, and moved Whalen to third. “Slick” Rick Whalen scored when Gwin stole second, drawing a wild throw.
Homa allowed a single in the bottom of the seventh before enticing a double play and a ground out to end the game.
- Both teams were missing key players, but the first-place Ducks’ depth played a huge role in the victory and our solid 2-0 start.
- I want to beat that team with Goldie and Florian in their lineup.
- The infield continues to make all the routine plays. Depo was a vacuum at first.
- Coby would have had that one to left if he didn’t cut his hair.
- Homa is picking up where he left off last season, and will factor into the Pitcher of the Year conversation. Homa is every bit the pitcher that kid is.
- Homa for NCB All-American and Pittsburgh NABA Pitcher of the Year.
- KT Murphy leads the team in HR.
- The Flyers have no heart, Let’s Go Pens!
- Somebody check the cover on that ball, I think I knocked it off with that laser to right.
- It’s a line-drive in the website’s, stats link though.
- The Duck Pond will be rocking for the home opener against the Confederacy on Monday, bring green and yellow shirts. The Union must not fall.
The Ducks have never been 3-0 in our history.
Quack, Quack, Quack.