South Oakland improved to 2-0 on the season with a 6-4 win over North America.
The Ducks scored 3 in the bottom of the first. Casale and Gwin Singled to start the game putting runners on first and third with no outs. Casale scored on a double steal. Culp singled in Gwin, and advanced to third when Swetz singled to right. Ben Hartranft scored Culp with a sac fly to center.
The Lions scored an unearned run in the top of the second. Ben Hartranft threw out a guy at the plate.
The Lions ran into some outs. Runners on first and second, there was a past ball and only the runner on first tried to advance and the Ducks got an out on a 2-5-4 putout.
With a runner on second in the third, a ground ball to the left side resulted in a 5-6 putout.
After taking a 4-3 lead in the fifth after a dropped fly ball by the Ducks, North America had runners on first and third with 2 outs and tried to get in a rundown between first and second to allow the runner on third to score but it didn’t work.
Some guy tried to stretch a single and was thrown out at second.
North America threw two good pitchers, and the starter settled in after a rough first innings. South Oakland trailed 4-3 going into the bottom of the fifth.
Faust singled to start the fifth, and took second on a past ball. After a pair of strikeouts, Gwin walked. Then the Lions pitcher went from the windup for some reason, allowing Gwin and Faust to advance. Ciccone drove in 2 with a single to right. Then Culp chased their starter with a double off the wall in right center.
The Lions would only reach base once in the sixth and seventh. Ciccone struck out their 2-hitter to end the game.
- TC Jones: 2IP, 2H 3BB, 2R, 0ER, 2K
- Culp: 2-for-3, 2B, RBI, R
- Ciccone 2-for-3, 2RBI, R, 5IP, 3H, 2BB, 4K, 2R 0ER
- Faust: 1-for-3, R, SB
- Hartranft: 0-1, sac fly, HBP
- Swetz, 2-for-3
- Gwin: 1-for-2, BB, 2SB, 2R
- North America will be tough this season. I can see them and the Wolfpack getting into a fight over which is the more dominant land mammal.
- That win felt good.
- Where are these 3 pitchers I drafted?
- Moore made a sweet catch in right n in which he pinned a ball of his chest. the bruise is spectacular.
- Faust had his first hit as a Duck since 2006.
- This is South Oakland’s first 2-0 start since 2009. I think. We’ve won games and everyone has played in every game. We still haven’t had our full compliment of players yet.
- It’s a real good atmosphere in our dugout.
- Gotta love how their pitcher bitched out their shortstop in the first inning for missing a tag, then went from the windup with guys on first and second in a one-run game in the fifth.
- So much kitty litter. There’s probably a Lion joke there
South Oakland plays next on Saturday at 12pm up at Pie Traynor. Might be scrambling for guys over Easter Weekend.
Follow us on twitter @duckpond2014