The South Oakland Ducks of the North Side defeated the Carrick Express 5-2 in Carrick last night. Chuck Zuzak (W, 5-2) pitched a complete game for the victory, and Erik Tuomisto drove in 2 runs in his final game as a Duck. The win moves the Ducks (12-11) into a tie for fourth place with the Oilers (11-10-2). Carrick falls to 8-13-1 with the loss.
The Ducks scored a run in the first after Chartier singled to left and moved Gwin to third. Gwin scored on a throwing error on an attempted pickoff.
In the top of the second inning, Tuomisto drove in a run on a bases loaded sac-fly and the Ducks scored again on two-out single by Morgan to make the score 3-0.
Carrick scored in the bottom half of the inning to close the gap to 3-1.
The Ducks added a run in the 5th on an RBI double by Tuomisto. Carrick scored in the bottom half of the inning to make the score 4-2, but the Ducks added another run in the 7th on a sac bunt and a throwing error that allowed Casale to score all the way from from first.
- Zuzak worked out of a bases loaded, no outs jam in the second inning.
- Lonnie Petril made a great catch down the line in right to save a run in the third.
- In the bottom of the sixth, with two outs and the tying run on second, an Express player tried to steal home and was thrown out. Great poise by Chuck to calmly step off and throw him out.
- Ducks right fielder, Brian Strom went 2-for-2 with a double and a walk in his return from the disabled list.
- We recorded a season high 2 sac bunts in the game.
- Joe Graff and Andrew McCray each recorded a HBP.
- We definitely have hit harder throwers better this season. We beat Carrick’s ace, and swept the season series against a solid opponent.
An Oilers loss in their suspended game against the Rebels (Shaler is up big going into the bottom of the 4th) or a Ducks win vs. West View on Sunday, will clinch a first round bye for the Ducks.
Ducks first baseman, Erik Tuomisto is moving. He finishes his career with a .500 batting average and leads the team in RBI over the last two seasons. He will be missed.
South Oakland finishes the regular season Sunday night against West View.