The Rakers beat the Ducks 4-1 at Pie Traynor Field on Saturday. Last year’s Knights, the Rakers (who did a great job of getting the field in shape to play on Saturday) basically trimmed the fat from the underachieving 2007 team, kept all their solid, small-college players, and added an enormous third-baseman, and a few guys with beards. They are a tough team. Typically, pitching is their strength.
I left in the bottom of the fourth, with the game tied 0-0, the Rakers lead off the inning with a routine fly ball that dropped for an error, then a walk to Eberle. Errors and walks. The Rakers would go on to score three runs in the inning, and one more of TC Jones.
Adam Smith and Garrett gave me the recap.
We left runners in scoring position. I left KT on second base in the top of the third after a terrible one pitch at bat in which I popped up to first base. Chris Roth left two men on base later in the game, Rick was stranded on second in the seventh after he doubled in our only run of the game.
Smith went five strong innings allowing two earned runs. TC came in to finish the game and allowed one earned run in two innings of relief.
There were a lot of ifs and a lot of what-have-yous in this game. If we make one more play in the field and get one more key hit, it might have been a different outcome. That’s baseball. We have to win the games we only allow three earned runs. We’ll see the Rakers again.
Smith had a great start after getting roughed up by the Blacksox on opening day.
- Bullet Points, ( based on what I was told about the last three innings after the fact, and without seeing the book.)
- Kt had a good game at the plate. He walked stole second, singled and scored a run.
- Rick hit a double, his biceps are huge. Also, he looked much better at shortstop than he did at second vs. the Blacksox.
- We were in this game till the end, and we played without Guthrie, who leads the team in triples, slugging percentage and RBI.
- We got a great start from Smith, he gave us a chance to win.
- TC continues to do a good job of getting everyone in the game.
- Again, one umpire. At least this guy was coherent.
- We beat the Eagles last week in a game in which we only had two hits. We had six or seven on Saturday and lost.
We are scheduled to play the defending Champion Rebels tonight at Spring Hill. It is wet and gloomy outside at the moment, but its not raining. We have to try to get the game in as we are out of makeup dates.
I hope it doesn’t rain. Regardless, the Ducks’ grounds crew will have to put in some work tonight before the game if we are to play.
Nick is on the hill tonight, that’s bad news for the Rebels.