Adam Smith responded with 4 scoreless innings, to help propel the South Oakland Ducks to a 9-5 victory over the Confederacy(0-2), securing the Ducks first 3-0 start in team history, and ensuring the sate of the Union.
MVP candidate Jesse Smith led the way offensively, going 2-3 with a double and and RBI.
The Ducks led 2-0 going into the bottom of the fourth when, Les is more ripped a double to left center that was misplayed by CF, Jefferson Davis.
Mars followed with a walk, then after two failed bunt attempts, Ben Gwin doubled to right giving the Ducks a 4-0 lead. J. Smith selflessly moved Gwin over to third, and Novak, Kirk Gibosn, Watson, Wojoton, Depo, and Cheese, all reached base safely in some manner.
That inning got a little out of hand.
Both teams left runners in scoring position in the game’s early going, Feathers and Smith both pitched out of trouble.
Ray Finkle’s single in the third inning was the first hit of the year for Monroeville.
The Rebels can cry and talk shit all they want, but through two weeks of the season, Wojoton, and Gwin each have as many RBI (5) as their team has runs scored.
That almost wasn’t the case, in the top of the second with South Oakland nursing a 1-0 lead, Former MVP John Tremmel hit a ball to the wall with the bases loaded, but CF, Mars made a tough running catch to keep the game close.
Mars proceeded to drive in the Ducks second run with a sac fly, and
would later throw out a Rebel at second who foolishly tried to take second on a hit to right center in the seventh inning.
Captain took the mound in garbage time, the Rebels battled back, but their supply lines were cut, and they were drastically outnumbered.
The Ducks closed the door in the bottom of the seventh.
The Rebels really wanted this one.
What a shame.
That’s what you get for naming your team after the greatest atrocity in American history.
- Thank you to the fans who showed up to support both teams.
- Les Gies will be a factor this season, solid game at 3rd, clutch hit to start the 7 run rally.
- Everyone contributed to another solid team win.
- Lots of HBP.
- Depo had a fantastic infield hit.
- Coby has not recorded a hit since he cut his hair.
- The season debut of Novak and Mars was welcomed.
- We were 3-9 at one point last year, this is better.
- We still haven’t had all our players show up at the same time, good luck with that, skip.
- Who better to get the W for South Oakland’s first 3-0 win that A. Smith (1-0) who has suffered through some tough times, and has embraced a reduced, but key role on a better team.
- Adam Smith has seven K’s in five innings pitched to lead the team.
- Since losing to the Rebels last season we’ve gone 10-2-1 in regular season games.
More later, maybe.
Quack, Quack, Quack.