South Oakland Ducks of the North Side
Sunday, April 29th
10:00AM & 12:30PM
Woodland Hills High School
(Former Gray Bats mgr. Larry Z.)
The Militia are primarily a combination of two storied PGH NABA Franchises: The Gray Bats, and the Original Rebels – The Rebels formed when the Black Sox split in ’07.
A handful of Militia players also played for the old Knights/Orioles franchise, their Manager, PGH NABA Legend John Tremel played on the Warriors for a season, their best player of all time, Jeremy Barchie, was a Duck for half a season. They also have a Hurricane defector from last season, and a player from the old Phantoms.
Kenny Powers says fuck the Rebels.
- Aside from the Kenny Power’s Black Sox, and Craig Boley’s Warriors none of those other teams exist anymore – the Gray Bats went out in a flutter after one season.
- While the Sox and Warriors are two of the Original 3 teams still in existence, they existed in 2003 as the Stampeders and Piranhas – respectively. (The Ducks, Maulers and Arthropods also played in ’03. Yeah, we had a team called the Arthropods in our league, once.)
- The South Oakland Ducks is the only franchise that’s been around since 2003 with the same name. We just won’t die.
- We’ve absorbed players from the ’08, and ’09 Championship teams (OwlzZzzz, Hurricanes) and still have a core of hold overs from our Championship team of 2010 (when we beat the Militia to advance to the championship) , and our team that reached the 2011 Finals.
- The ’07, ’08 and ’09 Champions have all folded. That’s odd. You’d think winning a title would make a guys want to stay together and build on that success. Additionally the ’06 and ’07 runner ups (Colonials and Matadors) have folded.
- Gone are the Oilers and Sharks.
- Guthrie and Fago played on the old Knights at one point, so on Sunday we have multiple grudge matches of former teammates.
- We should all be proud to wear Green this season (preferably green, but whatever color you have is fine since our uni’s aren’t in yet).
- Pending weather, the Cherokee, and Black Sox open up today – it’ll be interesting to see how they fare.
- If I had a choice to have Fago up with the bases loaded, down by 2 runs in the bottom of the seventh every game, I’d take it.
- Ken Cool and several other Ducks will make their 2012 debut on Sunday
- No idea how or why this blog post degenerated into this.
Our team is full of players who know how to win.We’re coming together, but we need to go on a run (one game at a time, obviously).
Let’s get two on Sunday and get some momentum going before we get into league play next weekend.
The Michigan Militia and other extremist groups operate under principles formed by the misinterpretation of pieces of our Constitution that have been taken out of context. They think they know what’s best for our country.
But Captain America knows better, and he’s on our side.
Bad News for the Militia