South Oakland of the North Side lost to rival BIG OIL 7-1 in a rain-shortened, 5 inning game in Spring Hill last night. The loss drops the team to 0-1.
Throwback night, 2014
The Oilers scored four in the first with two walks, two doubles, a single and a run-scoring, two out error. They added two in the second and one in the fifth.
After a rough first inning, Ducks starter Randy Patton (L, 0-1) settled down and kept his team in it through four, striking out 2 and scattering 7 hits.
The Oilers starter threw well, striking out 9 and working out of bases loaded jams in the second and third innings when it looked like South Oakland might crawl back into the game. The Ducks couldn’t get a big hit with runners in scoring position.
Ben Sorosky had the lone Ducks RBI on a bases loaded walk in the second following infield singles by Pulice and Morgan and a Joe Graff walk.
South Oakland’s best chance came in the third when TJ Morgan drew a one out, bases loaded walk, but the umpire forgot the count. Morgan was not awarded first, and we had a runner picked off first base, attempting to advance as one normally does on a bases loaded walk. Morgan then lined out to left to end the inning.
South Oakland’s next game is 2pm Sunday vs. Cranberry at Veteran’s Park of Cranberry (Not the one in Etna).
- No ringers on the Oilers, but something tells me the player eligibility discussion is not over yet.
- The Oilers have a few new guys who are solid. They hit well as a team, and if they get pitching, they will be tough to beat. This is true for almost every team in our division.
- The Scooter will be in the building on Tuesday at Mellon. Big early season matchup
- We need to hit a better, but as a team our approach at the plate was pretty good. Facing a tough lefty for the first real at bats of the year was a good test, and I think we will improve in this area.
- There were multiple requests for Garrett Moore to return to his role as bench coach/bullpen catcher
- Great to be back at it for a fourteenth NABA season, and a run at a third title.